Sunday, November 25, 2012

"Everyone Who Belongs to the Truth Listens to My Voice"

Today's Gospel reading at Mass was another personal love letter to me from God.

Not many people would look at these verses as a love letter, especially given the fact that Jesus Christ is facing Pontius Pilate and trying to speak truth to him. In fact the Truth was standing right before Pilate and he was blind to it.

From John 18:33b-37

Pilate said to Jesus, "Are you the King of the Jews?" Jesus answered, "Do you say this on your own or have others told you about me?" Pilate answered, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests handed you over to me. What have you done?" Jesus answered, "My kingdom does not belong to this world. If my kingdom did belong to this world, my attendants would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not here." So Pilate said to him, "Then you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say I am a king. For this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."

The reason it is a love letter is because it reminds me that the Kingdom of God is not of this world and I really need to be reminded of that right now. I have been going through a lot of soul-searching regarding how much focus I've put on politics and the dawning realization that I fell into a belief that "a man" could change things.

Well, we do have a Man who did change things. He was born of a virgin and came to save the world from sin. He conquered sin and death to give us eternal life. He reigns with goodness, love, compassion, and justice. As such, He is the rightful King of our souls.

Today we celebrate the Solemnity of Christ the King. He is the ruler of a heavenly kingdom, and as followers of Him, we know that we will never feel as though this world is our home. The Truth lives here, but ultimately His home is in heaven and God willing, that is where we also will be someday.

No comments: