Monday, August 10, 2009

Is It Apathy? Or Acceptance?

I'm going through a bit of a conundrum.

It has to do with our current state of affairs in the United States. We have a government that seems hell-bent upon initiating total control upon our society and an all-out war against the family that includes more access to abortion, justified euthanasia, and same-sex marriage. Jobs continue to go overseas and the opportunities for any kind of "blue-collar" work is dwindling, let alone decent "white-collar" jobs. Voices are becoming more shrill and town hall meetings more violent.

It's ugly and there are many Americans who are understandably frightened for the future. But according to this article, Christians should not be apathetic, but fight against what is happening.

I'm more of a fighter than I'd like to admit. I have always struggled with the "turn the other cheek" thing. I feel most protective of my family and friends. If anyone tries anything with them, I have plenty to say (and advice to give). But is this what Jesus has asked us to do? Are we to constantly battle corrupt government entities and injustice? Or are we to love, forgive, and focus on living our lives according to His purposes, sharing His message with those who have eyes to see and ears to hear?

I'm as angry as the next person about what is happening in our country, but there is a part of me that is also resigned to it. I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but it's as though the wheels have been set in motion to accomplish something that yes, is in God's plan. I feel as though to fight against that is to fight against the inevitable purposes of God. According to the Bible, we know the world will grow darker, rejecting God and His ways in greater measure. We understand persecution of His Church has never really stopped but in the United States, we've taken it for granted that it would never affect us.

But now we see that this isn't true. We are being affected and it seems as though daily we hear of yet another story of how a Christian was unjustly fired from a job or forced to act in a way that counters their beliefs. I believe it will get worse. I don't like bad news, really. I'm not a typical "doom-and-gloomer." But it's as though I can see the writing on the wall. Things, I'm afraid, will get worse.

So what is a Christian to do? I participated in the first Tea Party on April 15 in our city. I've not been to any others because I have reached the point of examining where my energies should be invested. Is participating in group demonstrations the best way? Or is it better to write? Or maybe just have conversations with others?

Like I said, I'm in a conundrum. My father said to just pray. Sometimes prayer feels like you're not doing much but maybe that is the best use of my energy. I'm still questioning.

7 comments:

Mr. B said...

Prayer before The Blessed Sacrament is the best weapon against the evils of our times.

God Bless.

Unknown said...

I definitely agree with Mrs. B. about prayer before the Blessed Sacrament, but I also think it is up to all of us to also be aware of what is happening and then discern, as you seem to have done, as to what God is calling you specifically to do. Not all of us are called to be the activists in everything- some of us- myself included are better prayer warriors. That is definitely not apathy.
I admit this is a tough issue because our very lives may be at stake if things progress in the manner they seem to be progressing.
Sorry for going on so long on this.

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Nice blog...will put up a link..

Larry Denninger said...

Pray and work. We are to work against injustice - you just have to discern how God is calling you to do that.

I used to think that Catholics in America would suffer only white martyrdom. I now believe that red martyrdom is becoming more plausible with every passing day. It may not happen for decades, but I'm sure it will happen.

Shirley said...

We are called to live our faith; in every thing we do, think and say. Fighting evil can be as simple as saying, "Blessed be the name of God" every time you hear the Lord's name taken in vain. It can be telling your friends who are shacking up that you believe that marriage is a better option. It can be teaching your children the Catechism, and giving them a solid base of faith to fall back on when they get older and have to make their own decisions.
If you live your faith you aren't being apathetic. But to go outside our own comfort zone, and stand up publicly and make our voices heard can be done in many ways; we must all discern what God is calling us to do; and remember that He always calls us to prayer.

Mary Rose said...

Thanks for these comments. I do agree that we are to pray and ask God what His plan is for us as individuals. These comments really encouraged me and I hope did the same for others. I pray we will bring Him glory in all that we say and do. :-)

Adrienne said...

I throwing my vote in with Larry...

But Karinann is also correct when she says we need to do our part in whatever way God calls us.