Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Freedom Through Christ

From today's reflection (One Bread, One Body)
In fact, on Judgment Day, Christians will be judged more strictly; because, "when much has been given a man, much will be required of him" (Lk 12:48). We Christians have been given more. We have been given salvation, new life, freedom, peace, power, forgiveness, mercy, Holy Communion, God's word, the Church, the indwelling of the Trinity, everlasting happiness, etc. Because more has been given to us, more will be asked of us.

I've been thinking about freedom, lately. Most of my thoughts have been focused on the freedoms I enjoy as an American citizen. However, recent events have left me feeling very unsure about the availability of these freedoms, witnessing more often a curtailing of certain ones such as free speech and religion.

But what is true freedom? Is it a series of laws or is it something more? Can any law of man make me free? If my idea of freedom is only limited by what I can do in my mortal body, is that all there is? Or is there something more?

God gave all of us free will. At times, we many not be able to fully exercise that free will with corresponding action - but we will always have free thought. And as long as we are able to think, we can choose to be free in the most important area that we've been given - our soul.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. (Rom. 8:2 NKJV)

The "law of sin" is what kept me locked into an existence of fear, shame, and lies. Before I was blinded by an attitude of rebellion and a belief that I could steer my own ship. Not surprisingly, I often steered that ship into a barrier reef. Bad choices, unhealthy patterns that I couldn't seem to escape, unable to resist the temptations that I knew would only bring me back to places I didn't want to be - Jesus Christ set me free from all of it.

Today I could be hauled away and thrown into prison, but the glorious thing is - it wouldn't matter! I would still be as free in there as I am out here because my freedom does not depend on the whims of man. It's already been decided by Christ's sacrifice on the Cross and by the power of the Holy Spirit, my submission to Him!

Focusing on what true freedom is reminds me that whether certain "freedoms" are taken from me or not; real freedom resides in Jesus Christ and His love-gift to me. Eternal life is ours, and we will always, always be free to choose that life. Praise be to God!