Thursday, November 20, 2008

Focus, Focus, Focus

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!

Refrain:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion—
For more than conquerors we are!

His Word shall not fail you—He promised; Believe Him, and all will be well:
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

- "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" Helen H. Lemmel, 1922

(One of my favorite hymns)

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace! the Lord is with thee; blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

It has dawned on me that I've allowed my focus to slip. It is easy to get caught up in the world around us and the crazy antics of those who know not Christ. But is it what I am called to do as a believer? I often find myself torn. On one hand, I loathe bullies and am frustrated by the never-ending onslaught of fascism. But on the other hand, I know I should not be surprised by anything because Jesus Christ said the world would hate the light. We've been forewarned that the times are dark.

This is when I am truly thankful for the rosary. Praying it has helped me focus and brings me back to what is truly important - Jesus Christ. I prayed the rosary today in increments and just finished the Luminous Mysteries. How amazing that God loved us so much that He gave us His only Son! And Jesus walked through this unrepentant world, filled with idolatry and selfishness, cruelty and malice, and still - He loved.

I am humbled and ask God to help me focus on the real priority in life: to follow Jesus, to love God and love my neighbor as myself, and forgive my enemies. It seems so simple but yet is so difficult, especially when I've got a temperament like St. Peter!

If anyone had been praying for me to settle down and fly right - your prayers have been answered. :-)

1 comment:

*Linda Pinda* said...

Dearest Mary Rose...
I love reading your reflections...

Recently I have been dealing with so many unsettled feelings about the state of our world, and especially our nation. I go back and forth between peace and passions, etc.

While discussing all of this with my husband... wondering if we have done enough, and why there is so much obvious evil and disobedience "winning" the heart of our culture...

Matthew 13 came to me. The parable of the weeds among the wheat.

Of course, my desire would be for holiness to prevail and be within every heart. But that is not, nor has it ever been the case.

I felt that the Lord was reminding me of His sovereignty. Should I not rejoice that the ugliness of this culture is coming forward... being revealed?

It is not my job to dethrone the evil, just as it is not my job to separate the weeds from the wheat.

The Lord is at work.

Like you, I am reminded that I must keep my eyes on the Lord and His kingdom, and all these other things will be added...

Hugs & Prayers... *Linda*