Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Helen, I Tried to Add You On Twitter... But for Catholic Stuff, I'm Plurking

There was a commenter who asked to be added to my Twitter group and I tried, but the account doesn't seem to exist anymore, which I suppose happens frequently. People join these social networking sites only to find it really doesn't interest them and they move on.

Just for the record, I joined Plurk. My name is CatholicProdigalDaughter. I did this mainly to separate my "social network" activity between my work life and personal life. My boss is on Twitter and I did it mainly to "follow" him. Here are a few thoughts on Twitter vs. Plurk

Twitter strikes me as a big giant room with a crowd talking at the same time. Sort of like a mega-meeting of town criers with the "Here Ye, Here Ye!" announcements. It also seems like everyone is racing to find the coolest headlines/videos/etc. on the net to post them. Many are using it like a marketing tool, which I don't have a problem with since that's why I'm there, too. But it feels sort of cold to me. I have no idea how people "build" relationship on the thing.

Plurk seems more homey. I don't know if it's the interface or what, but Plurk gives the user the ability to comment on someone's original comment and threads responses like a mini-message board - which is the perfect way to connect people. Once you see someone posting quality comments on one of your Plurk buddies, you're more apt to add them as a friend. I like it better.

So - there you go for any of you who are into this who "Twitter" phenomenon. There are more applications coming down the pike, I know. I won't be able to keep up with most of them. To me, many of these type of instant messaging is a distraction from my work or it keeps me from focusing on what I really need to be doing at home. I'm trying to not get too caught up in it!

No comments: