Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Belated Mother's Day


I'm still battling a weird cold. I wanted to go visit my mother's grave on Saturday but decided I'd wait until I felt better since I would have a two hour drive and a visit with my father. I'm trying very hard not to give it to too many people!

Mother's are so important but in ways I never realized until my own dear mama was gone. She passed away last year and as I've mentioned in my very first post for the blog, was a big factor in my coming home to the Catholic church.

It was my mother who bought me little children books and especially the religious ones that used to be held in a special rack in our parish's vestibule. It was she who encouraged me to read and brought me to the library when I was a little girl. And it was also my mom who was very upset with me after I told her I'd be attending another non-Catholic church. I'll never forget her chastising me for it, saying that all those years spent in private Catholic schools were then "wasted."

I would give anything in the world to be able to tell her that no, all those years weren't wasted. For some reason, they were seeds that were simply growing deep roots, unbeknownst to me. I know she would be thrilled to see where I am today. I know she'd be happy.

So if you have a mother who has been put through the ringer on your behalf, I hope you had the opportunity to spend some time with her and tell her just how much you appreciate her. I know she'll love hearing it. :-)

1 comment:

X said...

I bet you that your mother was praying on your behalf the minute she got to heaven. I am sure she knows you returned "home."