Saturday, December 27, 2008

Battling a Cold - Bleh

Yes, my throat started to feel a bit raw on Christmas Eve. I was hoping it was from overexertion, but alas, no. Christmas Day I woke up and could feel my throat was starting that awful journey toward making me sound like a bad drag queen. I don't get sick often, but when I do, I simply hate it and grit my teeth until I feel better.

I'm truly hoping I feel better in a few days when my stepson is coming with his new wife for a short visit. It will be so great to see them again! My stepson serves in the Army and for now, he's stateside. He's already served in Afghanistan and Iraq. I am very proud of him.

We celebrate Christmas Day each year with my family. I was really excited that this year, I was able to share more with them about returning to the Catholic church and my love for the Traditional Latin Mass. My uncle and I had a really interesting conversation about girl servers at Mass. I pointed out to him that it confuses young girls. Quite frequently, a young boy who serves at Mass is getting his first look at the vocation of priesthood. Many priests realize while serving that they were called. If a young girl serves, she has really no track to follow. If she does feel as though she is called into a life of service, really, it should be into a convent or monastery.

Which now gives me a thought. Why hasn't there been any type of service available for young girls to help nuns? Wouldn't that be fantastic? A young girl serving in a convent, for example, could get a glimpse into the life of a sister. I'm sure the extra help would be appreciated.

Too often, we focus on what is in the public eye while Jesus constantly sought solitude to be with His Heavenly Father. It would seem that being out of the public eye is where the real work of becoming like Christ, occurs.

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Wonderful thoughts! And I recommend a LOT of hot tea for that sore throat. I was up at 3 a.m., drinking Chai - a little bitter but very effective... Fee better FAST!

Angela said...

Blessings dear sister!! I LOVE your blog's name. Oh my, how the Lord leads His daugthers to find one another. I have come back to the Catholic faith 11 years ago. I have said I used to be a Saul, who is not a Paul. Persecuting the Catholic faith that was mine as a child, but left as a young woman. Now the Lord, in His great mercy and love has called me 'home' and I thank God, I have obeyed, (even though at times kicking and screaming, blush blush)..Will be adding you to my blog list so I can follow along..((hugs))

Rachel said...

I know of a few convents around my area that often have girls come to do volunteer work. I agree it's a great idea!