Saturday, May 3, 2008

My New "Old" Missal


Well, I suppose this marks me as a "trad," now. I chuckle when I hear this term, especially "rad-trad." I don't know if I'll ever be "rad" but do know I've become more traditional as each day goes by.

This past week, I was able to buy the Roman Missal of 1962. I bought the one printed by Baronius Press as opposed to the one by Angelus. I have no qualms against Angelus, but my local Catholic bookstore only stocked the Baronius Press version. Since I was impatient and didn't want to pay shipping and handling charges for an online order, I went ahead and bought the Baronius version.

I love the embossed cover and the IHS monogram. (The right meaning has been lost but is Iesous Christos, - meaning Jesus Christ.)

Here are more photos:

I love the thickness of the missal. Like a thick, delicious slice of bread...















The reason why I wanted my own missal - to learn the Latin rite.















Finally, I adore these illustrations. I love reading more about the saints and learning when their Feast Days occur. And the Morning Prayers are just beautiful.



All in all, I am pretty happy with the missal. I'll be attending Latin Mass tomorrow and hopefully will be able to follow along. I have so much to learn. I'm so grateful I have a parish that offers the EFM more than once a week.

Plus, tomorrow I'll be attending the local chapter of Una Voce. I'm really looking forward to meeting people who love the Latin Mass.

Have a blessed Sunday. :-)

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

You CAN NOT have a missal without holy cards. I have an "adopt a bowl person" program. I buy funeral holy cards and adopt them out for people to pray for. (OK - that was a bad sentence) Most of these people passed away 40 or 50 years ago. They are all (probably about 200) in a bowl on my prayer table hence the "bowl people."

Send me your address and I will send you a few people to keep in your missal. My email is on my blog. I've already adopted out about 20 folks. My husband's website is on the left of my blog so you can verify that I am not a crazy stalker babe - or as I like to say "crazy but not dangerous:)

Mary Rose said...

Adrienne, you just rock, you know that?!!

I'll check in at your site. Thank you for the adoption. I'm also "crazy" (according to my sweet hubby) but not dangerous. :-)

DiNuzzo said...

Best of luck with your new Missal. It's great to have little tools that we are able to use to help guide us along our faith journey. Use it and never forget how special it is to you at this point in your journey.

Check us out, we're new! www.OnAccountOfTheTruth.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Hi Mary Rose! I'm with you; I love the illustrations in the 1962 Missal. There's one for confession that shows a sheep all tangled up in barbed wire on the left, and then roaming free in a pasture on the right. I love the straightforward (if symbolic) presentation of what Confession does for us.

And you are DARN lucky you get the traditional Latin Mass *more* than once a week! I'm just glad we have several parishes offering it on Sundays.