Saturday, November 29, 2008

Book Meme

I discovered this on Christine's blog, (Meet Me At The Gates), who is a new visitor. As I read it, I couldn't resist. What bookworm could resist this meme?!! Here it is:

The rules: Pass this on to 5 blogging friends. Open the closest book to you, not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment, to page 56. Write the 5th sentence, as well as two to five sentences following that.

My book: The Mass of the Early Christians by Mike Aquilina

Page 56, 5th sentence and a few after:

The abuses at Corinth might explain why the agape was separated from the Eucharist very early in the Church's history. Paul's account of the Last Supper was likely the first to be set in writing; it corresponds closely to that of Luke, who was Paul's disciple. Note, too, the recurring images of Israel's exodus and Passover, and the contrast of pagan sacrifice with the Christian sacrifice of the Mass.

Aquilina then continues by quoting the entire passages of 1 Corinthians 10:1-22 and 11:17-34.

It's an amazing passage from St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians. I have never before read it with the thought of the Eucharist in mind. Now it is fresh and new, full of life as we ponder the mystery of the Body and Blood of Christ.

Well, that's my book but I'm into Catholic identity and apologetic books at the moment. Here is who I'm tagging:

Donna-Marie

Adrienne

Laura

Angela

Rachel

Kimberly

Chris

Cathy-of-Alex

Carolina Cannonball

Owen


Whew! I chose more than five, but I have so many bloggers I read and can't list everyone! If this meme resonates with you, have fun and do it!

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

My closest book is Photoshop Elements 6 - The Missing Manual. It's obvious I haven't spent enough time in this book. LOL

I will get on this first thing tomorrow........

Cathy_of_Alex said...

What Adrienne said...but it probably will not be first thing! Sounds like an interesting book,MR!

The Crescat said...

"following that distress, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give forth its light, and the stars will be falling from the sky, and the heavenly powers will be shaken." MK 13:24

arent I the bundle of joy? :P

Hey, it was the only thing on page 56 of Imitation of Christ

Mary Rose said...

Adrienne, that's a hoot! Hmmm...page 56, maybe that's where it talks about masks? (ha...I have no idea!)

Cathy, I look forward to reading your response. Yes, this book I'm reading about the history of the Mass is fascinating. Very, very interesting and eye-opening.

CC - Wow... a very dramatic portion. I need to finish that book. I think I made it through two chapters. :-o

Thanks everyone for responding. :-)

Chris said...

My book: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book

the relevant excerpt as prescribed above:
In the color Balance panel, select Midtones for the Tone, and select Preserve Luminosity at the bottom of the panel. Shift the sliders to balance the color in the image. We moved the top slider to -90, the middle slider to +18, and the bottom slider to +6. The red color cast is gone.

I'm sure you were hoping for something much more spiritual or at least interesting! But that's what I've got. ;D

Mary Rose said...

Geez...I'm beginning to think I need a PS book near my desk! Ha!

I use Serif's PagePlus, a desktop publishing program that to me, is a bit easier and a little more intuitive than PSE. Although most digi scrappers do use PhotoShop Elements or PhotoShop Creative Suite. Maybe when I get an Apple someday, I'll switch. :-)