Friday, June 13, 2008

Congratulations, Andrew Johnston!

I've been following this young man's progress on the British TV show, "Britain's Got Talent." His first audition was simply heartbreakingly beautiful. (hat tip: Fr. Dwight Longenecker of "Standing on My Head") This 13 year-old boy, brought up by a single mom, in what Americans would call "the projects," has one of the most angelic voices I've heard. What immediately touched people was the fact he was bullied by other boys for this type of singing.

Although Andrew Johnston came in third for the competition, I just learned that he signed a £1 million deal with Simon Cowell's record label. An album is to be released later this year. As my UK friends would say, "Brilliant!"

His audition was singing "Pie Jesu." He chose it again for his last performance on the show. Listen and enjoy. I hope to see his record available soon in the U.S.

No comments: