Monday, June 23, 2008

My New Facebook Group: Castitas

The idea for this group has been developing within me for the past seven years. To be honest, I don't know if this is God's timing for it or if I'm still in a hurry to get something done. I'm pretty impatient, which is why I believe God taught me patience by waiting until I was 39 before allowing me to meet my husband. (!)

Today, I kicked off this new group on Facebook.

At any rate, I do think returning to the Catholic church was a key factor in order for things to fall into place. I do believe this ministry is to primarily be for Catholic single women between the ages of 18-35, although other Christian women within that age range may be interested.

I have been deeply touched by the amount of Catholic materials and resources for living a life of chastity. I believe we are witnesses to a wonderful turn of events in our society; which is - women who are beginning to recognize their calling in the world. As women, we are called to many things. For the married woman, she is called to a life of loving submission to her God and her husband. For the single woman, she is called to a life of loving submission to God alone.

There are many factors which contribute to such a submission. Submission can be seen in either two ways: as something to curse or something to praise. Our God has so much to give us as we embrace His commandments and seek to obey. Of course it isn't easy, but as I've often said - since when is finding treasure ever easy? If something was easy, we would not cherish it as much.

Which brings me to the topic of single women. I believe many single women have given themselves away too easily. Self-respect has plummeted, most recently seen in an awful "pact" that a group of high-school girls made with one another to get pregnant. Is their life so empty that they deliberately chose to have a baby outside of marriage in order to find fulfillment? There are many questions surrounding such an event. Needless to say, it broke my heart.

Women have such great influence in the world. This is not the raw political power that feminists pursue, but the kind of power that shapes and influences others. The kind of "power" that gives, not takes. It is this type of influence I would like to emphasize and examine with single Catholic women. Once a single woman understands her gifts and what is required of her by God, she is then in a most advantageous position to fully influence others as God has intended.

I have already met such beautiful women both within my parish and over the years in other churches. These women "get it" when it comes to understanding who they are in Christ. We have indeed been "fearfully and wonderfully made." I am hoping that as I facilitate the group, young single women will realize how precious they are in the sight of God and how He loves them so very much.

Understand God's love for you and you will change the world for Him. Glory be to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

1 comment:

Susan Johnston Hamrick said...

We at www.PrincessBubble.com have a very similar message!

Happily Ever After!