Thursday, September 4, 2008

Back to Catholic Stuff: Praise Report

I simply wanted to publicly thank the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, and St. Anthony for their petitions regarding my work situation. I've been sending out resumes and have not had any success in getting an interview. This gives me a slight surreal feeling since I have a college degree and decades of administrative experience. My desire is to work part-time in an office environment for a company or organization that actually interests me.

So in other words, I don't want to work for real estate, a doctor, or a company that manufacturers the plastic cheese part that goes into the mousetrap.

It's hard, harder than I thought. One part-time job I applied to had 171 responses. 171! For part-time!

I'm also pursuing creative ideas for bringing in an income such as writing and design. I'm moving into the direction of writing but also fiddling around with computer graphics, which I love.

Anyway. My part-time job at Michaels did give me more hours for next week and a few more tomorrow. I am very grateful to God and to the saints who stood in the gap for me. I feel very upbeat about the future. What is tough is to resist applying for just "any job." By the time one hits their forties, they know what they're good at doing and which environments best suits them.

If you're also looking for a job, have you noticed how many "thrives in a fast-paced environment" job ads there are? Ugh. Sounds to me like a company that expects you to pack a 70-hour work week into 40 hours. No thanks.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Well if you can come up with an "creative ideas for bringing in an income" that I could collaborate with you on ;D let me know.
I have an objectively "good job" that bores me to death. I would love to be one of those people that does something they really love. Maybe someday...

joannaB73 said...

God Bless - I am looking for the exact same thing - and I really need to start Monday! I am praying to St Jude (Saint of the impossible) and the Infant Jesus (for finances). I feel quite upbeat about it at the moment though and actually escaped a job with a manufacturer - which obviously wasn't for me. I don't have a degree but I do have lots of admin experience. We just have to have faith that God will supply! "According to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil 4:19

joannaB73 said...

I have an update - I have two weeks temping work - though it's full time and I usually work part time and extra travelling time - so will be grateful for something more local eventually! I may not have enough energy to blog as well!

Dymphna said...

171 responses for a part time job? And the politicians keep saying that we need immigrants becuase Americans don't want to work.

Mary Rose said...

Joanna, good luck to you, also! Yes, it's amazing how difficult it can be to find a part-time job. I thought it would be easier but now I'm thinking most companies want to work an employee into the ground. Bleh.

Chris - life is too short, as they say! You're great with the camera, really. Maybe you could start doing portraits? Not sure if you've ever thought of it. I think you're highly creative. Your photos and pages are works of art, in my book!

Dymphna, thanks for visiting and yes, 171 is amazing. I'm on the same page with you. Americans do want to work but how can they deal with the "double whammy" of not having enough jobs available and the ones that are available are such low-paying ones. I remember when some of the jobs I'm seeing went for $2 more an hour. Now everyone expects to get someone who can type, create PowerPoint presentations, excel at Excel AND have a college degree while paying only $8 an hour. It's ludicrous.